HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO FLY PRIVATE?
What's Better About Our Private Jet Rental & Charter Plane Prices
How Much Does it Cost to Fly Private?
More people are flying in private jets and planes than ever before. Private air travel isn’t just for billionaires and celebrities anymore; in fact, a private jet charter can be a surprisingly economical travel choice. While private charter flights tend to be more expensive than typical commercial flights, the actual private jet rental cost can be comparable to flying first or business class.
With private planes costing millions of dollars to buy, air charter rentals are a far more cost effective way to fly private. We break down charter plane costs below.
Here’s what goes into the costs of charter flights, and how Linear Air’s prices are different from other air charter providers.
With our pricing, all costs are included in the price you see, instead of paying by the hour. You don’t have to spend time trying to calculate hourly rates or figuring out fees. No changes or surprises to your bill.
Private jet rental and charter flight costs are based on the size and type of the plane, distance to travel, and any extras people want. Plane type and size is the biggest cost factor. For example, a short flight on a small, piston-engine powered air taxi will be far less expensive than the private jet rental cost per hour for a cross-country flight.
When chartering a private jet or plane, the cost per hour can be anywhere from $1,300 to over $13,000, depending on the size and type of plane, fuel surcharges, various fees, inflight accommodations, and taxes. The private jet rental cost per hour is usually greater than for piston engine or turboprop planes. Here’s our guide to the different types of planes available.
If you’ve thought about it but wondered “How much does it cost to fly private?” read on.
What Factors Go Into the Cost of a Charter Flight?
Besides the plane itself, the five biggest factors in the cost of chartering a plane are:
- The Plane Itself: based on aircraft type, age, and availability.
- Flight Time: the hourly rate multiplied by the number of flight hours.
- Crew: The pilot and co-pilot are standard crew members, but this can also include flight attendant(s).
- Fuel: This depends on the length of the flight and type of plane.
- Airport Fees: landing and ramp handling fees.
- Taxes: The Federal excise tax of 7.5%, U.S. Domestic Segment Tax of $1.50 to $4.50 per passenger.
Rental Costs Per Hour By Aircraft Category
How much does it cost to fly private in a small plane, turboprop, or jet? Here’s a breakdown of how much it costs to fly private for popular private jet and plane models of each plane class:
|Plane Class||Plane Model||Passengers||Hourly Rate (approximate)||Range (nautical miles)||Flying Time||Piston Engine Air Taxi||Beechcraft Bonanza||3-8||$1,000 - $1,700||350||10.5 hours|
|Turboprop||Cirrus SR-22||6-8||$2,000 - $,2800||1,021||3 hours|
|Personal Jet||Embraer Phenom 100||4-5||$2,000 - $4,000||1,200||2.5 hours|
|Light Jet||Embraer Phenom 300||6-9||$2,900 - $5,800||2,000||4 hours|
|Midsize Jet||Cessna Citation X||8-13||$4,000 USD - $9,000 USD||3,500||2 hours|
|Large Jet||Gulfstream G6||8-20||$4,000 - $10,000||7,000||13.2 hours|
How Much Does it Cost to Rent a Private Jet or Plane?
How much does it cost to charter a plane? Size and type of aircraft are the biggest determiners of the cost of charter flight prices:
- A piston engine-powered propeller plane will get you shorter distances on a budget.
- Turboprops offer many of the deluxe amenities as jets, but at a fraction of the price.
- A midsize private jet cost can often be less costly than first-class commercial flights. Jets offer longer flight distances, greater passenger capacity, and more amenities.
Additional Charter Plane Rental Costs
Fees are usually included in the charter aircraft hourly rate, and you should see a breakdown of individual ones on your invoice.
- Additional costs vary depending on the plane type and size: air taxis are generally not subject to federal excise taxes, while larger turbo-prop and business jets require a 7.5% federal excise tax.
- For international flights, fees and taxes differ depending on your destination.
- So-called “repositioning costs” are always included if the plane needs to fly to you to pick you up, (or “reposition” back to its base).
The table below shows what to expect in the total cost of a typical flight:
Private Flight Additional Fees
|Crew Overnight Fee||$750 USD - $2,500 USD|
|Crew Per Diem Fee||$200 - $400 per crew member|
|Wait Time Fee||$50 per hour|
|Short Leg Fee||Trips less than 400 miles may require a short-leg fee.|
|Plane Repositioning Fees||Typically same cost as plane’s hourly fee.|
|De-icing Fees||$1,300 - $13,000|
|International Fees||$1,700 - $10,000|
|Catering||1.5% of total flight cost|
|Flight Phone Fees||$3+ per minute|
|Wi-Fi Fees||$3 - $8.50 per megabyte|
|Cleaning Fees||$100 - $2,500|
Optional Costs on a Private Flight
How much does it cost to fly private jets? On larger jets, you have the option of hiring additional crew members and in-flight catering services. The more accommodations you desire, the higher the rental cost.
These are some typical optional private jet pricing for charter flights:
- Wi-Fi Services
- A roomier cabin
- In-flight entertainment system
- A more luxurious interior
- Catering services
- Flight attendants
- Sleeping accommodations
How Much Does It Cost to Charter a Private Jet?
Sample Itinerary for New York to Los Angeles
Here’s the cost breakdown of how much it costs to fly private for a sample cross-country flight from New York to Los Angeles, on a midsize private jet:
|Flight Time||4 hours|
How Linear Air’s Charter Pricing Works
The cost of private charter flights doesn’t have to be a mystery. Our expertise, customer service, and direct pricing makes finding flights easy; here’s how booking with us works.
Here’s why Linear Air is easier than other air charter services:
- There’s no haggling: you simply pay the price listed.
- All taxes and costs are included.
- You get the entire aircraft for your trip.
- No submitting forms and waiting for quotes.
- No membership needed: Forget about jet cards, or fractional ownership responsibilities.
- All costs are included.
You can enjoy all the perks of flying privately – whether you’re on a budget or want to splurge – when you book a private jet or charter plane with us. And after learning how our prices are different – and better – you’ll have an answer to “How much does it cost to fly private?”
Linear Air Compared to Other Charter Sites
|Linear Air||Charter Brokers||Membership Sites|
|No Wait for a Quote?|
|No Membership Needed?|